Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Works

Sometimes I think there is no scarier word in the Christian language than "works". I know people who think works can get them to heaven, I know people who avoid works saying you can't enter heaven by works. And no you cannot enter heaven by works, but every Christian young and old has Kingdom work.

Eph 2:10 states: For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Jesus sent out the 12:

These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: "Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans. Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. As you go, preach this message: 'The kingdom of heaven is near.' Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give. Do not take along any gold or silver or copper in your belts; take no bag for the journey, or extra tunic, or sandals or a staff; for the worker is worth his keep. (Sounds like work to me.)

Then Jesus sent out 72, Luke 10:1 says: After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go. (Still sounds like work to me.)

John was still preaching at 90; that's work.

We all have ministry while on this earth. Pray for discernment, minister where God has called you. Seasons change, many times ministry changes. For years I was called to teach Junior High Sunday School, when that season was over it was OVER. If I had tried to hang on to it, I would have kept someone else who was called from serving in that area and not gone on to do what the Lord had called me to do. I led a ladies' Sunday School class for a few years, I loved it. I love studying the Bible with women. I love praying for people at the weekend conferences. I may not always be up for travel on the weekend to wherever, but once I am there I am so thankful I am there in the midst of people who have come for teaching and prayer. I am privileged to see many miracles. But let me tell you, those weekends are WORK. I wouldn't miss a single weekend. I am looking so forward to Lufkin and Lake Charles later this month. I will admit it's a longer drive home from Lake Charles than it is driving to Lake Charles, but it's a drive I in which I will blessed!

Pray and go where the Lord leads you in serving, it may be serving the saved or the unsaved, the young or the old, it may be in your community or a mission trip to Africa...go serve the Lord in gladness and thanksgiving....

No comments: