Thursday, April 3, 2008

Expectations

Earlier this year, my father was hospitalized and gone from home for 60 days. He certainly received many miracles from the Lord as did my mother and I. As the days passed, I got behind in housework, grocery shopping, and yard work. I thought I had enough coffee to make one more pot the next day. I got up and found I was a scoop short. Then...it happened, my brain kicked in and I remember a dear friend Kathryne had given me a coffee mug at Christmas with a small bag of Community Coffee (our brand) in it. I grabbed that bag, opened it, and put a scoop of coffee in the pot.

A few minutes later, the coffee was ready, I poured a cup for my husband and a cup for myself and took them to our bedroom. He took a 1st sip as I was walking to my side of the bed and said is this some of your hazelnut stuff (not an exact quote) left over from your Christmas party? I said no, took a sip and said how sweet....like dessert. I put my glasses on (should have done this earlier) went to the kitchen and looked at the coffee...it was Creme Brulee Coffee. There was nothing wrong with it, it's just not what we expected at 5:30am.

Isn't that how we feel about God occasionally. He answers our prayers, but not in the way we expect Him to answer. We look at the expectation we have with our human eyes, in today's vernacular we don't always see the big picture. God sees the big picture, He saw it before the foundation of the world. He gets it. He sees it with His perfect, holy, pure eyes.

One of my favorite Bible verses is in Daniel 7, you need to read the chapter to put this in context, but the verse mentions the Ancient of Days, God - Who is Just's throne:

As I looked, "thrones were set in place, and the Ancient of Days took his seat. His clothing was as white as snow; the hair of his head was white like wool. His throne was flaming with fire, and its wheels were all ablaze

Guess what, He is never off His throne, it goes where He goes and He does not need us sitting in it or sharing it with Him. He is God. As I have told myself over and over, He created the world without me, He does not need my advice.

The day of the creme brulee incident, my husband went to Wal Mart, he bought 5 - 1 gallon containers of coffee. Now I am going to drink a cup of coffee and put on my glasses.

Worship God today. There is no other God!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen sister, there is no other God besides our Heavenly Father!

Anonymous said...

Creme Brulee with coffee would be a great thing at 5:30am.