Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Spic n Span

Way back in Jan. 1986 my husband and I were throwing a Super Bowl party. We had been married about 5 months. I was cleaning the day before the party and preparing what food I could the day before.

My husband walked in and asked if there was anything he could do to help me. I said yes, clean your bathroom. I handed him a sponge, paper towels, Windex and a brand new container of Spic n Span. In my mind, cleaning the bathroom meant:
Cleaning the Counters
Cleaning the Sink (he would say lavatory because he is a plumber) and Fixtures
Cleaning the Mirror
Cleaning the Toilet & Tub
Mopping the Floor

I went into the bathroom about 45 minutes later to get the Spic n Span, to my horror the container was almost empty and the bathroom was a disaster, it looked like it did earlier that morning. He had taken the lid off the toilet tank to clean it which he did and then decided to clean the inside of the tank. To this day, I think why!!!!! I blew a gasket, said unkind things (I was in my backslidden phase, I said horrible things), and cleaned the bathroom myself. He was bewildered. Looking back, I realize his mother never made him pick up or clean (oh joy) and he really didn't know what I meant. I should have communicated what I meant.

Fortunately for us, the Lord communicates exactly what He wants from us and for us through His Word and time in prayer. He gives us His discernment, wisdom, and clarity. He gives us confirmation when we need it.

Spend time with Him. He loves you.

I must confess I still smile when I buy Spic n Span.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the party and the bathroom story well. You hosted many parties in the old days.

Now I loook forward to your coffees and luncheons.

DM

Anonymous said...

Haha that's an amazing story. Glad it's at least in print somehow now. :)