Thursday, March 20, 2008

Good Friday

I grew up in and attended a liturgical church for almost all 46.9 years of my life. There are 2 things I love about my former denomination.
1) Celebrating Communion almost every time the door opens for worship
2) The Liturgical Calendar
The Liturgical Calendar really emphasizes Jesus' last week on earth during Holy Week.

Jesus made a triumphant entry into Jerusalem, people were shouting Hosanna and praising Him, He cleared the temple, cursed the fig tree, celebrated Communion, prayed in the garden, and prayed some more then healed a man's ear in the garden as He was arrested.

Our Lord was arrested like a common criminal, put on trial, a mockery of a trial if there ever was one, beaten, cursed, and mocked. His friends deserted Him like rats leaving a sinking ship. The key testimony against Jesus is found in the Gospels, Matthew 26:60-61 states:
Finally two came forward and declared, "This fellow said, 'I am able to destroy the temple of God and rebuild it in three days.' "

Pretty ironic, because He could destroy & rebuild the temple and so much more, He still gives people miracles every day, He still prays for us, He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Someone needs to know that, I feel it in my spirit. He loves you, He loves me, He endured all this for every person who has ever lived, is living, and will live.

Our Lord is found guilty, stripped naked, and nailed to the Cross. He takes on every sin ever committed and every sin that will be committed, He takes on every disease that people suffered and will suffer. Because He became sin, He would bear the Father’s full wrath for all human iniquity. And second, because holy God cannot look upon sin, Jesus would be separated from His Father for the 1st and last time through out all time.

As Jesus is on the cross, he said My God, my God, why have You forsaken me? I sob as I read these words. He didn't deserve to be judged for our sin, but He was obedient to His Father's will unto death. I am so grateful He took the cup and died for me and for you and for all those we pray for because they have not received the free gift of salvation.

Matthew 27:
45From the sixth hour until the ninth hour darkness came over all the land. 46About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
47When some of those standing there heard this, they said, "He's calling Elijah."
48Immediately one of them ran and got a sponge. He filled it with wine vinegar, put it on a stick, and offered it to Jesus to drink. 49The rest said, "Now leave him alone. Let's see if Elijah comes to save him."
50And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.
51At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split. 52The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus' resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people.
54When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, "Surely he was the Son of God!"

No comments: