Saturday, March 8, 2008

Comforting Scriptures

I asked several of you to send verses which comfort you in good times and bad. Here they are in no particular order:

My friend Camille, a great woman of God sent the following verses which have meant much to her over the years:

“For I know the plans that I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.” Jer. 29:11
“and provide for those who grieve in Zion— to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor.” Isaiah 61:3
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him who have been called according to his purpose.” Rom. 8:28 – Wonder how many people will send this one to you?

Jordan, my 15 year old "spiritual niece" stands on these Scriptures:

They weren't in love with themselves; they were willing to die for Christ. So rejoice, O Heavens, and all who live there, but doom to earth and sea, For the Devil's come down on you with both feet; he's had a great fall; He's wild and raging with anger; he hasn't much time and he knows it.- Revelation 12:12 (The Message)

So let God work his will in you. Yell a loud no to the Devil and watch him scamper. Say a quiet yes to God and he'll be there in no time. Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out. The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious. Get down on your knees before the Master; it's the only way you'll get on your feet. – James 4:7 (The Message)

Kay - a friend I met at ballet in 1971 or so, who never misbehaved sent this one:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

Wendy (Jordan's mother- I wonder if we are spiritual sisters in law or sisters in Christ?) sent:

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you. 2 chronicles 20:12

My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness 1 Corinthians 12:9

My little cousin Julie, who used to "style my hair" when she was 2, then her mother spent 2 hours combing out the teasing Julie had worked so hard to create sent:

Romans 5:3

And not only that, but we also boast in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, 5and hope does not disappoint us, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us.

Norma Dearing my petite sister in Christ sent Pro 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.

Stephanie - a former ballet student of mine, my favorite brat when she was a teen - so much talent, I loved her so back then and I love her so now sent:

Romans 8:28 listed above
James 1:2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds
Jeremiah 29:11-13You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Job 1:21-22Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. [a] The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised."
22 In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.

I received these verses from Kathleen, she was my classroom assistant when I was 9, 10, 11, and 12 at the dance studio, she thought I was a brat (think reaping and sowing...I then taught Stephanie...), then I made it into the advanced class with Kathleen and she still thought I was a brat, not sure if she thought I had talent, she did think I could teach as I worked for her for years:

1 Peter 5:6,7 Humble yourselves, therefore,under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

1 Peter 5:10 And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.

Here are a few of the verses which I have stood on in faith over the years:

Ps 120: 1 I call on the LORD in my distress, and he answers me.

Psalm 91 & Psalm 103, please look them up and read them out loud.

John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

My old rafting/jeep riding Colorado buddy sent something she stood on when her mother was ill for so long:

Lisa's words: I had a good friend tell me when my mom was in the hospital and I was giving up all hope and losing my faith these words. I still have them taped on my PC and they really helped bring me back to the Lord and stay focused. Although Momma passed away - my prayers were answered over those 5 months in ways I would never have imagined.

"Never give up. If you give up, then you are saying that you don't have faith in God. You're feeling this way because you don't see things happening the way you want them to. Remember, even when things seem to be going wrong in all directions, it is still going according to God's plan for our lives and those around us. Keep praying and again, when you don't know what to pray for, just call on the name of Jesus. He will give you the strength to endure. What a marvelous testimony you will have once HE has brought you through the storm. How can you have a TESTimony without a TEST?"

I hope you are edified as you read the Words of the Lord which have comforted us in good times and bad, balm to our hurting hearts, healing and strength to our spirits, Truth in the midst of the world. Of course if any of you participated in Beth Moore's Believing God study, you must stand and say:

God is who He says he is
God can do what He says He can do
I am who God says I am
I can do all things through Christ
God's word is alive and active in me
I'm Believing God (hand motion required)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was really powerful - way cool.

Annette said...

hi annette! i'm writing you back from your sweet comment on my blog. we are fellow siestas! love the verses - good to see what others use as anchors in the stormy times, eh? blessings to you!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes we forget how much the Lord wants to comfort us, He wants us whole in spirit, mind, and body so we can be free to wroship Him and serve Him.

Anonymous said...

I stood up and said the 5 statement pledge of faith and I am believing God!